It’s a good feeling when you’ve worked somewhere long enough that you feel comfortable there, but even in a relaxed work environment, there are some things you just shouldn’t do on the job. All bosses and workplaces are different, but there are some behaviors that will always overstep the boundaries. Keep things nice and professional by not doing these seemingly minor things at work.
- Checking your social media accounts- Unless you run your business’ social media, stay off social media at work. Stop wasting company time and wait until your lunch break to check in.
- Polishing your nails- If you get a chipped nail at work, suck it up and deal with it. Not only is it totally unprofessional to paint your nails at your desk, the smell of the polish may really bother your cubicle neighbor.
- Interrupting- It’s good to be passionate about what you have to say, but not when it means talking over others.
- Hazing the new hire- No matter how long you’ve been at your job, always treat the new guy the same way you’d want to be treated on your first day.
- Oversharing- Save the details of your personal life for your work BFF and keep sensitive and confidential workplace info to yourself.
- Getting drunk at office parties- Having a drink or two at happy hour or the company party is fine, but know your limits. You don’t want to do or say anything you’ll regret when it comes to your career and nobody wants to beTHATperson everyone is whispering about at the office party.